Your guide to Surveying Levels
Levels are used in surveying for measuring the height of distant points in relation to a benchmark (a point for which the height above sea level is accurately known). It comprises a telescope which is fitted with a spirit level and is generally mounted on a tripod. They are used in conjunction with a graduated rod placed at the point to be measured and sighted with the telescope. There are several types of levels like dumpy level, Cushing's level, Y level, tilting level, automatic level instruments, and Cooke's reversible level for leveling in surveying.
Application areas of Digital Levels are –
- Height for the construction of roads, railways, pipelines, and more.
- Leveling & Settlement Determinations on Buildings
- Area Levelling
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Level –
There are several types of levels available so there are a lot of things to consider when you are trying to choose the right one for you. Here are some things which you need to consider –
- Accuracy – Levels are much more accurate than other tools but some so than others. If you require the highest level of accuracy, you must consider using a Precise Level. A precise level uses a parallel plate micrometer which is placed in front of the lens which allows small alterations to the image of the bar-coded staff. This allows for extremely high accuracy levels.
- Manual vs Auto – Some levels are automatic ones which means that it will do all the hard work for the user. The others need you to do it manually. If you would like to prefer an automatic level you must consider a Dumpy Level.
- Price – Levels can be expensive but there are several options for those who are looking on a budget, if you require something more affordable than you can check out Leica’s Automatic Level. They are perfect for everyday tasks of leveling which combines accuracy and simplicity.
Advantages of Digital Level
- Correction of collimation error – Using the four integrated Check and Adjust procedures, can be reliably determined and saved or it can be entered manually.
- Minimizes human error – It is not required for fatigue-free observation as visual staff reading by the observer.
- There is a download option for data on the storage medium to the computer which enables quick data reduction for several purposes.
- Fast, economic surveys can be performed which results in saving time and reduces effort by 50%
- User-friendly menus are offers that are easy to read, digital display of results.
- Measurement of consistent precision and reliability due to automation.
- Users can operate in low light conditions.
- The measurements are automatically made free of the influence of the curvature of the earth.
- Data storage is done automatically, eliminating booking and its associated errors.
Types of Levels -
There are several types of levels that are available, all having several qualities that are suited to specific needs and applications.
Automatic Levels are also called Dumpy Levels which are an optical instrument which is used to set horizontal levels and are a tried and trusted member of any construction team. The operator needs to look via the optical eyepiece for measuring against a staff or tape measure which is placed at the point which is measured. This site leveling technique is mainly useful for surveyors during site surveys as well as a complete host of other uses within the construction industry.
A precise level makes use of a parallel plate micrometer which is placed in front of the lens which allows small alterations to the image of the bar-coded staff. This creates extremely high levels of accuracy. With precise levels, you can do a lot of things –
- Area leveling to high accuracy
- All types of Levelling
- Deformation measurement and monitoring of bridges
- Height for construction of railways, roads, pipelines, tunnels, etc.
- Settling out work
Digital Level is an instrument that can be used to perform advanced leveling work, automatic height calculations, and basic construction work. It utilizes gravity as its reference point and reads bar code scales from a bar-coded staff to capture extremely accurate readings. The measurements from the bar-coded staff are stored or displayed automatically for your convenience and for future reference. In the Middle East, if you need Surveying Levels from the house of Leica, then you can get in touch with Dutco Tennant LLC. Quality automatic and digital levels are provided by us from rugged, economical construction level to modern digital level with advanced electronic technology.