Detecting the causes of failures in insulated electrical equipment
Partial discharge (PD) is known to be one of the foremost root causes of degradation and failure in insulated electric assets such as underground cables, transformers and gas insulated substation equipment.
Since PD is present and can be detected far in advance of equipment failure, continuous monitoring of PD allows the utility to repair or replace the effected assets before failure to ensure safety to its field crews and maximize reliability to its customers.
On-line PD monitoring allows asset managers to continuously monitor critical equipment condition under normal load and without interrupting service.
BlueBOX is a new method of partial discharge detection and analysis that allows for the continuous and online monitoring of high voltage electrical assets, such as gas insulated substations (GIS), transformers and underground, insulated cables.
- BlueBOX has new signal processing technique:
- Removes electrical noise without sacrificing signal band,
- Automatically determines partial discharges location,
- Differentiates each partial discharge producing source, and
- Assess the criticality of each defect in relation to the degradation of electrical insulation.